Friday, July 9, 2010

To Take The Initiative

Hmm. I am wondering why I lack so much initiative. I have a lot of ideas... but maybe it's because I look for approval to go ahead and do it.

Darn it. Sometimes I think it's better to go ahead and do it and ask for forgiveness later. :)

I guess... maybe it comes partly from the old way of doing things last time in tertiary ministry, where you had to follow chains of accountability. I guess we were very serious about all these kind of things...

I guess also doing work in a company like ST, where you have to keep everyone in the loop and not get too creative.

Now experiencing a new kind of ministry - working with Huaqiang and then with Hong Teck. Still trying to get used internally to taking the initiative. But thank God for these two great bros who exhort us to see more people take the initiative.

I guess fear of what people will think stops us from taking the initiative to go ahead and make a difference - to take the risk.

*ponders*

Just thank God that He helps us grow beyond structures to be freely what He wants us to be. "In Him we live and move and have our being." That should be the essence of every child of God. Not structures. Structures are like baby walkers and crutches. Sticks for a young sapling. Good for beginners, but meant to be thrown away when we have come of age. And isn't that what making disciples is all about? Help people grow to full maturity, till this elegant Scripture becomes their essence: "In Him we live and move and have our being."

Oh that I were more grown-up.

No comments: