Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Joyful Forgetfulness

I came back from meeting Jon at Clementi. Clarence was there too. :D It was a great time of sharing. And... I'm so glad that God exalted above all things His name and His word.
Psalm 138:2
I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.
Was sharing my long-winded sharing again with Jon on some topic. While I was sharing, a particular verse from Jeremiah came strongly to mind. To be honest, while sharing, I had the temptation to take pride in my "eloquent" sharing, but I was reminded that hey, I am just a servant of the Lord. Not I, but Christ. I just share, but God's power is made perfect in my weakness.

So after sharing, I asked Jon what he thought. He said everything I said became a buzz, but the main thing he remembered (i.e. encouraged by) was the verse that I shared with him.

LOL. Personally, I'm really happy 'cos that's the whole point. God's Word takes precedence over my sharing. If my sheep remembers nothing but the Scripture passage, halleloo-yah :D If he remembers everything except the Bible verse, ai-yah. :(

A thought about it. It's a strange but delightful feeling that somehow I'm beginning to experience: that I don't really worry / take delight in whatever ministry success or even in whether I achieved my "objectives" for shepherding or ministry...

And I'd venture to say - even if and when my sheep grows under my care - I find myself nowadays strangely having a care-free forgetfulness about what I did. Not so concerned about the "success", but simply rejoicing that You are working in my sheep's life, and more concerned about whether I am walking in Your will, walking right with You. I am simply a broken little mirror that reflects the glory of God into corners that haven't seen the light of the Son yet.

And oh, I like that feeling! A healthy forgetfulness of myself. This attitude helps me enjoy ministry and helps me keep my eyes open to the work of His hands. To be ready to join the Father wherever I see Him working, eyes always open to the opportunities He creates.

As I was walking back home, I looked up to the sky, and talked with my heavenly Papa. Told Him that honestly, it doesn't really matter to me how much I was used. What matters is that God is working in my dear sheep's life, and that is all that really counts - that God's name is glorified and lifted high. What matters is that I have a relationship with God - and that is the sweetest thing in life and all eternity. What I really enjoy about ministry nowadays is not even whether I succeed or fail, but that I get to work together with my heavenly Father.

Today, God used my Christian colleague to show me how to be alert for opportunities to minister / sow good positive values to the children that we work with every day. :D Wow. Whether it's shepherding or children's ministry or work or praying together with my mum for my family... it's really a joy to love the Lord and imitate Him in whatever He does. He teaches me and instructs me in the way that I should go.

Father, I want to be with You
And do the things You do
Father, I want to speak the words
That You are speaking too
Father, I want to love the ones
That You will draw to You
For I know that I am one with You...

That oneness with my Father in heaven is the thing I desire most in this life. To love God with everything in and of me, and to love my neighbour as myself. And to love one another as Christ loved us. What else can be sweeter than this? To be an imitator of God and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave His life for us.

No comments: