Thursday, July 1, 2010

Learn To Lead Without A Title

This principle applies not only to ministry, but also to work. This is something I realized after observing some people, whether good or bad.

Then it struck me that this is true whether in work or in ministry - a lot of people, especially the more naturally passive ones (like me), tend to fall into the trap of functioning only what is "expected" of us. In a sense we match the expectations laid upon us - but just about so.

Some people naturally surpass expectations. But what about those who naturally just give the minimum? (I speak as one of them.) I think the solution is simple (but not easy): help them discover their God-given strengths and challenge them to learn to lead, to take the initiative to serve - without the title.

I know, it's not easy. I guess there's cultural forces at play, whether it be our Asian culture or church culture. But we are called to live by one counter-culture: the culture of the kingdom of God. And in that kingdom, we learn to be servants by taking the initiative to meet other people's needs.

Just because you're an intern doesn't mean you have to nuah like an intern. Give the extra mile.

I know, I know. It's not easy for me. God knows how much I struggle. I can do it for a day, or maybe a week.

But I like to follow. To be given tasks and appreciated for doing my best. And maybe that's not so bad. But... I want to be active. Not passive. Alive, not dead. I guess... the secret thus is about getting them all fired up from within. To cast the Promethean flame from heaven unto frozen, passive hearts.

No comments: