Sunday, August 16, 2009

While The World Bleeds

From Xinying's blog:
Please forgive our ignorance
In looking down on you
Please forgive our selfishness
For hiding in our pews while the world bleeds
While the world needs us to be what we should be
I was reading the ST article on "Young Crusaders" in the news just now. Haha. Felt very excited when reading about all these brave and noble-hearted young people. And haha, some of the young people are older than me.

You know, I think there's an increasing social consciousness. That there's more to life than just making money. And this sentiment is common to many people of our generation, regardless of race, language or religion. :)

And I also realised that quite a few friends of mine are interested in volunteering. I invited one of my colleagues the day before, and she should be coming down next month. It's a great way to make more friends too!

Think this may be the new trend in our generation (and IMHO, it's a great positive trend), and my church should make the most of this opportunity. Because precisely the Church is supposed to be well-known for doing good works of charity and mercy to those in need!

To be honest, I felt quite ashamed when I realised that in recent years, criticisms from non-Christians were levelled at some of our sister churches that they were spending too much money on themselves, building luxurious-looking buildings and so on.

But on the other hand, I felt very encouraged and delighted to read about other sister churches doing good deeds e.g. providing language classes for immigrants, job fairs open to all people...

Relevant to our generation, especially Generation-Yers, right? :D (Actually, in every generation, there's people seeking for a deeper meaning in life than the usual "career" cliche that we've been spoonfed.)

So I was thinking that my church, while it is affilated with Hope Centre, could do so much more directly to serve those in need. Like how the Methodist and Anglican churches do. Because we're doing it because God loves them.



Am feeling a deep stirring in my heart, because to be honest, I've been looking around me, and from what I perceive, we could be doing so much more in missions and in caring for the needy. Really. I was talking with one brother who's currently serving as a leader, and he commented this to me, that we've been sliding away from our vision statement in the past few years.

I bet it's no coincidence that during this same period, quite a lot of people have been feeling dry and sian in their walk with God. Of course lah... we are walking Dead Seas...

Think quite a few of us feel burdened about this state of matters, whether member or leader. Thank God for the hearts of these faithful bros and sisters! :D Loyal to God and His cause.

But also burdened for some people who want to live in their own comfort zones. I mean... their reason is: "Not everyone is called to go out mah..."

But gee, couldn't we at least cry out to God, "Lord, I don't know what You want me to do exactly, let alone how... but here I am! Send me!"? Can't we be senders and mobilizers too?

Instead of concluding that since we don't know what's God's specific calling for our lives, therefore God doesn't have anything special in store for us, and so we can sit on our lazy butts, nua-ing while the world goes to hell. Literally. Whether from physical want or spiritual want, both matter to God and to people!

So what if we don't know what exactly He wants us to do? Then why not at least appeal and cry out to Him to show you more clearly? I think we put much more effort into appealing for our schools, university modules and career promotions, but hardly any effort into appealing for our life destinies! Why not exercise faith and believe God when He says in Jeremiah 33:1-3
While Jeremiah was still confined in the courtyard of the guard, the word of the LORD came to him a second time: "This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it—the LORD is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'
Jeremiah was a captive. Just like us, confined in our cubicles. But that didn't stop God from speaking to Him! Neither can culture or career or crisis stop Him from showing His plans to you! Call to Him! He WILL answer you, as long as you are willing to listen. Don't be a lazy bum and fritter your life away! Call now! Angels are standing by! :)

So what if we have the crushing burden of life? I was talking with my maid the other day, and I found out that even though she's not well-off and has quite a few kids of her own to support... she has adopted a child that no one else wanted. Wow.

And she's a Christian. If she, a not-so-educated maid from a rural area in a less-developed country, can do that wonderful act of love... then dear friends, what excuse now do we rich Singaporeans have? God uses people like her to shame people like us. :)

I talk so much. But deeds speak louder. So I'm also preaching to myself too. I've seen just a little bit of the outside world. I guess visiting other countries does make a difference. Singapore is just so darned small.

That's why I really hope to encourage you guys to join me in serving the community in Christ's name. Maybe we can't do much today. But, to paraphrase Mother Teresa, we can do it with much love.

And... it's also a great way to demonstrate Christ's love AND reality to those around us too. Let's not settle for occasional lame outings that entertain ourselves more than others.

Let's be different. Let's be extraordinary. Let's be revolutionary. Stop living in our own little worlds. Start getting our hearts clean and hands dirty in this world of His. Because He can, we also can. Together, you and I can make a difference!



So thank God for the winds of change. During Friday's sub-d meeting, Eugene shared that our sub-district will be doing more in missions. And Delia and Ailay shared with us about missions/community service trip to Cambodia. Whoa! Delia's joy and excitement as she shared was so infectious! I sensed an atmosphere of excitement fill the air. People's hearts were getting roused. Whether they were young or old Christians, it didn't matter. God's Spirit is moving, and His heart is touching our hearts too!

Also very inspired by Tracy's example. 1 month in Cambodia with Yanzi. Blessing the children there.

Frankly, I'm really excited! Christ has winnowed, cleansed and purified this church, and it is His! And our hearts are encouraged, restored and renewed. :D

Lord! break my heart for what breaks Yours!
Everything I am, for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity!

Wow. I really want to do so much more for God and people.

No comments: