Monday, August 10, 2009

The War of the Soul

Just woke up. Wish I had slept earlier! It's such a struggle - I actually procrastinate going to sleep.

It's stupid, and to be honest, I don't like it. I actually love waking up early, early in the morning... beautiful sunshine and fresher air.

The good I want to do, I don't do...

Never mind. Today is another new day. I've decided that I won't touch the Internet tonight. That'll be one of my rules... no Internet before going to sleep. I guess my intention is to write in my journal before I sleep or blog.

But ah well. Whatever work I want to do, do it in the morning or afternoon. I'm much more productive that way.



Come to think of it, life's an everyday struggle. Hee. I guess this is also something that Islam talks about, that true jihad (not the terrorist one) is abt struggling against what wars against the soul - a moral struggle. And if I'm not wrong, the moral struggle for purity is of greater significance than the physical war that the common viewpoint is. (Got my info from the All-Knowing Wikipedia... haha hope it's accurate. If there's any Muslims out there who's reading this, and I've misunderstood it, do correct me k? Tks!)

In fact the Bible talks about this clearly in 1 Peter 2:11-12. The apostle Peter wrote to the persecuted church:
"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."
To strive to live lives worthy of His calling. Since God has given me a calling, all the more I have to discipline myself even more strictly, so that I can offer Him the very best of my life. Don't want to give Him 2nd-hand time!

No comments: