Monday, August 17, 2009

The Last Day of My First Job

I've just finished clearing my emails and documentation. And as I type this, I marvel at the freshness of the feeling, that it still feels like another normal working day, even though it'll be the last day tomorrow.

And how transient my senses and perceptions are, the fleetingness of memories. Whether it was 2007 or 2009, it feels so the same, save for a certain whiff of the freshness of old memories, that inexplicable brightness of recalling, time's little arrows, here and there that suddenly restores long-lost memories.

The last day of my first job. And a new stage in my life dawns tomorrow. It'll be my last ever first job, for first things can only come once. Yet... well, each new step is a first step. I reckon there was this Greek philosopher who said that you never step into the same river more than once, because it's always flowing. :)

I'll be a free man once again... free to breathe the nine o'clock sunshine at some cafe, linger in the languid breeze, or stroll in the placidness of a three o'clock afternoon.

:)

It's so strange. We have memories.

Like how the river runs through my fingers, so my senses flow through my mind. I pet my dog, and feel his golden fur in my hands. I linger, and rub each strand, trying to capture that silky-soft feeling and hold it just for a little while longer. Because he is 3 years old now, and before I know it, he will be 6 years old, and then 9, and then 12... and then gone.

And as I walk away, the memory of his fur sublimates in my hands even as I recall them.

I sniff the musty office air, and feel the tip-tap of the keys on my keyboards. And my colleagues' laughs and bantering, and hushed typing and steady slogging. And all these will be consigned to the dim recesses of memory very soon.

It's been a good 2 years of learning, and working, and so on. God's grace upon me too. Learnt many new things, and I'm a seasoned worker. Wow. 2 years have gone by so fast.

Thank God so much for the really packed memories in these 2 years. They went by fast, but they were full of years.

It's ok. :) Dear Lord, thank You that the old things are going away, and the new things are coming even now. :) And thank You that You are always the same. Faithful and unchanging, eternal and everlasting. Thank You that every day is a new day, brimming and bursting with promise, and the bursting goodness of a fresh sunrise, and the graceful sweetness of a mellow sunset.

No comments: