Monday, August 10, 2009

I Said My Pledge!

Was at Bishan MRT at 8 pm yesterday. And some volunteers went out and asked us to come in and recite the pledge together. Wow. It was a surreal time. Felt paiseh haha, especially with all the cameras. But pondered about it. It's great that we're finally doing it as a corporate activity. Together as Singaporeans.

And realised that the pledge is also a thanksgiving for the unity that we have as Singaporeans. In fact, our pledge is so significant, because it is NOT a declaration of allegiance or loyalty to a flag or a sovereign... but more simply, as a common expression of commitment to stay united as one people.

And that's what our Pledge is, and shall ever be - a pledge of Unity. Not unity to an abstract ideal. Not unity to a common sovereign or leader. But... unity as in human-ity.

"...pledge ourselves as one united people, regardless of race, language or religion..."

And I think this is so critical. So foundational. Singapore is a miracle. A tiny red dot. That hasn't exploded (not in recent times), by the grace of God. And I like it so much.

But not just so. I felt a tiny thrill run in my heart when we moved on to this phrase: "...so as to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation."

Justice and equality. I think these two virtues are well-known traits in Singapore. That all men are equal in the eyes of a just God.

And as I held my plastic flag, I thought about it. The glory of all the nations. The glory of Singapore. What is Singapore, that we should be mindful of it? The sons and daughters of immigrants, that we should care for it? An "imagined community"... but I think it's a noble idea, even if some cynics were to say that it shall ever be an imagination.

Because this IS an imagi-nation. And we will keep on holding on to that dream, to be a united people... caring for one another. Because, well, we are all people. :)

Hee. Idealistic yeah. But I like my country. It's not perfect, but hey, God put me here, and it's my homeland after all. :)

Happy birthday Singapore.

No comments: