Monday, August 10, 2009

Also want to quickly dash off a thanksgiving for Peter and Andrew putting me up at their houses, during the "fallout" period. :) Was terribly blessed and touched by their mums' hospitality. Andrew's mum especially made sure I was very well-fed. Whoa.

And so grateful for this family of God. All these experiences made me think deeper about the nature of the church. How beautiful the church is in God's eyes.

Coincidence, perhaps, but Huaqiang asked me to write a short skit for CG, to illustrate what the model Acts church looked like. Scratched my head, but realised that a short skit simply isn't sufficient to demo. Andrew, when he heard about it, he exclaimed, "Wah! Less than 5 minutes, your skit? The Acts church teaching got more than 30 points..."

At that point, I knew I should have thrown in the towel. No shame here - God's standard for the ideal Church is just too wonderful. Try making a model of the Grand Canyon... it just doesn't do justice.

And... yesterday, during service, only Sharon, Huaqiang and me (Jeannie was in Batam with her colleagues) were there for CG. The rest didn't/couldn't/wouldn't come. And... while looking out for them, suddenly I was gripped by a deep sorrow. I was stunned. Asked God whether it's me... or is it what Peiru last time talked about - the grief of the Holy Spirit?

Then recalled the prayer I had prayed last week: "Lord, break my heart for what breaks Yours."

And gosh, my heart was suddenly also very burdened and concerned for some sick friend. And it struck me there and then that God is so deeply concerned for us when we are physically sick. We ourselves think it's just a "normal flu". But God shakes his head and says, "Flu! it was never My idea from the beginning. All this sin and sickness that you see in the world today break the bodies and souls of men. And I am so grieved to see all the pain and suffering caused. Maybe you think it's ok. Well, I'm still concerned... what Father wouldn't be concerned when he sees his children sick? Even if it's 'just a flu'? And especially if you keep on falling sick? My heart really aches..."

This revelation took me by surprise. But makes sense. Because it's so close to the heart of Jesus. That's why He can care so much to heal the sick. The lame. The blind. The deaf. The mute. Raise the dead. Feed the hungry and thirsty.

And the Church, the Body of Christ, is to be concerned for what God is concerned for.

I remember one brother last time mentioning about our church (the Hope one): "It's true, we can do more for those in need."

Thought about it. I ain't gonna criticize my church - hey! it's my family ok... - but what I can do - help out in whatever way possible, not only in comcare, but also in my caregroup. congegration. Care for others' needs more and more. In fact take it further. Don't have to stick to those in my sub-d. Why not make friends with those from different life-stations? Talk more with them?


And that's what a very dear bro and I were discussing yesterday. About the need for men from different life-stations to come together. A repudiation of the 'self-sufficient' mentality that's in our different services e.g. youth service, family service, adults service and so on. Not to say that these life-station services are not good. But cannot take them solely like that. Cross-generational ties are also v important, especially for men.

Have been having breakfast with one of the Sec 1 guys. Joel. He was from HopeKids last time, now moved on to Youth. But he still goes back every Sunday to be with the HopeKids too. (Of course he goes for Youth service too.) Anyway, it's great to chat and talk with him over breakfast. And realised that this is cross-generational bonding. Grand!

No comments: