Friday, July 31, 2009

To Drink The Cup

Just came back from meeting up with Kin Wee. :) Thank God for his prayer for me to have courage. It's beautifully timely.

And for Shuyi's prayer for me last night.

Hmm. I'll be telling my parents tomorrow, if everything goes according to schedule, about my resignation from my job, in order to follow God's calling for me.

And to be honest, I think their response will be like this:



But though I'm not looking forward to this, and have requested prayer for God's grace and mercy to be upon me when I tell them... Huaqiang asked me, "Would you be ready if it's God's will for you to take the cup?"

And I recalled Jesus' anguished prayer the night before He went to the cross. He was actually pleading with His Father to spare him the agony of going to the Cross:
Matthew 26:39
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

Mark 14:36
"Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

Luke 22:42
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."
Thank God for His assurance and peace. Still, I'm feeling a bit nervous haha.

Well, D-Day awaits tomorrow. Pray for me please, that not only will my parents be more receptive... pray that God will grant me wisdom, tact and gracefulness of speech in order to testify to them about God's plan and calling for me. Pray for me not to be anxious, but to experience the surpassing peace of God, and somehow, to be a testimony of God's grace to my family. =)

And oh, courage to break the news to them in the first place. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi bro,

Just my sincere thoughts here...

From the info that I have read only from your blog, I think it would have been better to have discuss with your parents about your plans to resigned before you tendered.

Its quite the same if it was about marrying someone...

Would you marry the girl then inform your parents about your marriage? Or share with them about your intentions to marry the girl and seek their blessings?

And from what you seem to present, your career is quite a serious matter to your parents.

Hence, a discussion with them before acting would have been better as it would have been a gesture that you honour them.

It is actually also a principle of accountability and submission to your parents as the divine authority He placed above you.

Just some input if you had overlooked this perspective.

yeu@nn said...

Hey Andrew! Thanks so much for your gentle advice and thoughtful consideration. Appreciate it lots!

Hee, I did think about that, but because, to the best of my understanding, God has confirmed very clearly that it's really time for me to move on... I decided to obey and just go.

Because if my parents ask me to stay back, I couldn't and wouldn't do that, since I am certain that God wants me to move on. So in a way, in this particular case, I don't think it would be doing them an honour to discuss with them, if my mind is already made up, because I know that God has already confirmed very clearly that I should go.

I guess it's also because of the experience last time, when my parents insisted that I take the first job that came along. To be very frank, my mum tried to compel me, but I refused, because I wanted to seek God first. So I prayed, and God said very clearly to me that I shouldn't take the job, because He can give me a better one, because I chose to honour Him.

Yup... that's why I chose not to tell my parents about this decision. Because I know my own weakness in being swayed and influenced easily by others, especially by my mum, and therefore I don't want their inputs to influence my decision this time around.

Not because I don't love them or honour them... but this is one decision that I cannot let them influence me in.

Personally, I think this kind of decision is different from marriage, because marriage involves the parents directly in terms of relationships and so on, but responding to God's specific calling and vocation for my life may require me to go against the will of my parents, and the only thing I can do then is to simply inform them.

So I guess it's much more like the decision to receive Christ into my heart.

Hee, my perspective. But thanks so much for sharing with me... I will still keep it in mind, bro!