Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Biking With God

I've started cycling entirely to work. And wow, thank God. It's a very powerful lesson every morning, a daily training session, on learning not to look only to my own interests, but also to the interests of others.

I was astonished at all the thoughts that passed through my mind when I encountered the pedestrians on the pavement. My initial thoughts were like: "Why so slow? Why can't you walk on the side?"

But it struck me, the irony of it. Because last time, as a pedestrian, my thoughts whenever a cyclist would pass me, was: "Why do you have to cycle on the pavement? Why not on the grass? Why so inconsiderate?"

I realised that both cyclist and pedestrian need the same path. Both have their struggles and their difficulties.

So it's been a great training exercise in constantly thinking about other people. It's surprising, but again then, God is able to teach us a lot of things through very ordinary things. =)

In a way, it's like the journey of life. Different kinds of people share the same path. Some go faster, some go slower. It's so easy to criticize the other side, thinking why can't you slow down / stay aside. But we all have our own needs and difficulties. We can look out for one another.

And another thing that struck me: Why do I have to cycle so fast now? Why not slow down? Frankly, it's very hard to look to others' interests, when I'm being too fixed on getting to where I want to go. Especially if I go very fast, people become nothing but slow-moving obstacles. And of course, the likelihood that I'll injure others is so much more higher.

So riding a faster mode of transportation, ironically, has taught me the value and virtue of going slower. A bicycle is simply a blessing... meant to help me relax more, not to rush more.

Like how it is in life. We always want to rush here, rush there. And we speak brusquely and inconsiderately to others. We think of other people as obstacles in our way, blocking us from speeding up and doing the things we want to do. It's all about me, myself and I.

But I guess that is not what Jesus would have us do. He would rather have us learn to literally walk in the other person's shoes. To look not only to my own interests, but to the interests of others. To give way to the slower ones. To be a servant...

Also, it's so easy to pin the blame and attribute inconsideration to the other party so often. I hear my colleague scolding the guy in front of his car... I hear myself scolding (mentally) the pedestrian obliviously chatting on his mobile phone in the middle of the pavement as I skid around him/her. (And I'm willing to bet my last dollar that the pedestrian is scolding me too for riding on the pavement!)

So thought about it. Realised that it is because of the grace of other people that I am actually able to cycle on the pavement. By right I should cycle on the road... but for safety's sake I need to cycle on the pavement. So actually, as a Christian, I am to be a servant to my fellow pedestrians. So that means getting off the bike and wheeling it, if necessary.

Wow! Amazing to learn from the Holy Spirit all these things, especially how to practise servanthood, even in something as small as riding a bicycle.

Another thing that also struck me is that I can pray for all the faces, the people, whom I pass along the way. Instead of mentally scolding or even cursing them (even if they're in the wrong), I can practise praying for them. Hee. I passed by a very portly gentleman this morning. He was huffing and puffing as he gamely walked. So prayed for him (in my heart) that God will help him lose some weight.

Imagine. I can pray for others... no matter what mode of transportation I take. Hooray! :)

Riding is fun, especially when you're riding together with the Holy Spirit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cycling on pavements is illegal from the Traffic Police point of view, though there's a great deal of discretion on their part in enforcing this rule (like in the case of jaywalking).

cycling on pavements is often a nuisance to pedestrians, and spiritualizing it doesn't make it any less illegal or annoying (in fact even more so!).

yeu@nn said...

thanks, anonymous, for sharing! yup thot abt it and discussed it with my friends, and think it's a very salient point. yup, so from now on i'll do my best to cycle on the roads (and it's a much smoother ride actually) always.

thanks for raising this point! :)

however, think just want to clarify that i'm not trying to justify my actions by "spiritualizing" it...

it's simply the reflections that i make as i go along... learning to see and hear from God even in the midst of my mistakes...

hee... i'm still very young as a Christian, so have much more to learn and grow! so do bear with me... thanks...