Friday, July 31, 2009

It's a cool night. And I'm thinking about what we talked 'bout, KW and me. About the sian-ness that working people feel. Work and sleep, sleep and work.

Was life meant to be like this?

So that's why I'm really thankful for Shaowei's testimony and Jiexian's testimony.

Shaowei is a brother from another church (FCBC, if I'm not wrong), and we were in RI and RJC. He's one of the most brilliant Maths guys I've ever known, but hee, his testimony is very encouraging, as he humbly shares with childlike awe about how God, the Grand Mathematician, has blessed him in his career as a mathematician... and how he cried out to God to help him.

And Jiexian is sharing about her testimony of how God helped her in her admin job (as she serves as a missionary in Chile). About how she struggles in her work, because she is not naturally strong in admin work.
So once, when my job gets very tiring and difficult, I complained to myself and to God..”why is this so troublesome! I dun feel like doing it!” More and more negative thoughts come. But suddently God reminded me that instead of complaining, I could CRY out to Him just like Moses. The word of God came as a comfort and so I obeyed the voice of God and CRIED out to him to help me! It wasn’t easy but I tried to put aside my negative thoughts towards the job and continue to persevere on. Gradually, the work became more managable with the help of some people like Lixiong and Yen Wah… Thank God for them. Thank God for His words that came at the right time to help me through my difficult time!


Two fellow Christians, hearts humbly walking with God and loving His people and obeying His calling. Two very different ends of the job spectrum - one gifted, one struggling. But one common heart in crying out to their great God for help, and seeing Him at work in their work.

God's @ work. Even in work. Question is, have I decided to cry out to Him too?

Which struck me. Because often I feel S1aN in my workplace when I come across difficult technical problems, or do mundane configuration or testing routines. But I learnt from Shaowei's and Jiexian's testimonies that I should humble myself and learn to cry out to God for help in my work.

Which is sooooo amazing! Because I had been nodding my way through the Psalms (yeah, nodding zzzz haha) during my morning Bible readings, and one or two days ago. And as I read the Psalms, I noticed how the Psalmist would keep on crying out to God for help, be it some small problem, or some enemy chasing him, or some confusion, or some injustices that he saw...

And once in a while, he would take his eyes off his problems, and just stand and stare with childlike wonder at God's goodness, glory and grace in all His creation. In short, he stands and stares at God's work.
Psalm 8:3-4
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
And I remembered how God has miraculously and graciously helped me resolve technical problems... He has answered my prayers everytime I cry out to Him for help. But the problem is, I keep forgetting to cry out to Him for help whenever I feel sian, and wrestle with a tricky technical problem. As such, "I do not have, because I do not ask."

Ah. The humility of learning to cry out to God in helpless prayer. How I need to grow in this area of learning to go down on my knees and cry out more and more to Him.

Oh! And God also impressed on me strongly the past few days this verse from Jeremiah 9:23-24
This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,

but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD,
who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.
Wow. At that time, I didn't understand why this verse caught my attention... but now, after reading and reflecting, I've come to understand that I really must train myself to rely and depend on God more and more even as I continue to work.

Because when I cry out to God, He enables me to learn to see Him more and more clearly at work. So that I can say together with Jesus in John 5:
Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working. [...] I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these."
Yes, I want to learn to see the Father at work daily, always at His work to this very day... and I want to be with Him, so that I can see the things He does. So that I can imitate the things that He do too.
Father, I want to be with You
And do the things You do.
Father, I want to speak the words
That You are speaking too.
Father, I want to love the ones
That You will draw to You,
For I know that I am one with You.
Hee. I love this song so much. It describes this growing passion in my heart, this holy hunger, to want to be with my Father more and more. Yes, I really want to be like Daddy.

Amen!

No comments: