Tuesday, July 21, 2009

HopeKids Skit: Romeo & Juliet, Zhnged

And Shakespeare turns in his grave...

Characters:
1. Romeo: Eilton
2. Juliet: Joey
3. Coconut tree: Wan Yueh


[Coconut tree walks in to the middle of the stage. He/she waves hello to the audience]

Coconut tree: Hi everyone! I'm a coconut tree. [She then starts waving her hands around like a coconut tree in the wind]

[Our Juliet comes in from the left side of the stage with a nice-looking fan. She looks around, fanning herself, fluttering her eyes and basically looking all dainty and delicate. She is wearing a large frilly skirt and some nice hairdo maybe an Alice-style hairband...]

Juliet: [sweetly, gushingly even, gliding gracefully, fanning herself slowly] Oh Romeo! oh Romeo! Whereforth art thou?

[She suddenly switches to angry mode, stomping up and down]

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?! I've been trying to get you on the phone!

[She suddenly switches to mournful mode - the epitome of pity]

Oh... how I miss you! I wish you were here with me... but you seem so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so (pants) far away...

[She turns to audience frantically]

Have you seen my beloved? Tell him I am faint with LURRRRVE... Have you seen him? Oh! Tell me! Have you? Tell me, I pray!

[She jumps into audience and starts looking around for Romeo, fanning herself frantically all the while. But she can't find Romeo, so she hops back onto the stage.]

BOOOHOOOHOOO! My darling Romeo is far far away! He's gone to Zanzibar, to Timbuktu, to Siberia! He'll never come back for many a day!

[She bursts into tears, sits down on the stage in front of the coconut tree and covers her face with her palms]

[Romeo suddenly sneaks in among the audience. He stage-whispers to the audience.]

Romeo: Shhh, friends! Don't tell my darling Juliet that I'm here! I'm not far away, I'm very near!

Juliet: Booohooohooo! Oh Romeo, oh Romeo, whereforth art thou?

Romeo: Behold! Is that my darling Juliet I hear? Oh my darling, thou shalt not fear! But... [turns to the audience] I think I will give her a little surprise!

Juliet: Booohooohooo! Oh Romeo, oh Romeo, whereforth art thou?

Romeo: I'm coming, I'm coming, my dear! [goes onto the stage from the left side]

[Romeo turns his back to the audience. Out of his jacket, he whips out a beautiful flower and whirls around to face the audience again with a grand flourish, ending with the rose in his teeth]

Romeo: Ah... [sniffs rose deeply] I will place it besides my darling Juliet!

[Romeo sneaks up behind Juliet. He secretly places the rose on Juliet's left side, and taps her on her left shoulder. Then he leaps to the other side, taking care not to be seen by Juliet]

Juliet: Ohhhh! A rose! It looks....

[we would expect her to say 'lovely' or 'beautiful' but...]

...DELICIOUS! Mmmmm... yum yum...

[petal dangles out of her mouth]

Oh! Where did the rose come from? Could my Romeo boy be near... but that can't be! He was supposed to be far far faaaaaaaar away...

[Romeo laughs silently, taking care not to be seen by Juliet.]

Romeo: Ah! I shall now surprise her with a beautiful love poem! Hmm...! I don't have any paper... oh! I have!

[takes out a fifty-dollar note]

Lemme write some poetry on it for her!

[Romeo writes some cheesy love poem]

Romeo: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." Ah, a nice poem indeed! I'm sure my love Juliet will LOVE it....

[Romeo then drops the fifty dollar note on Juliet's right hand side and taps Juliet on her right shoulder. He then runs to hide behind our friendly coconut tree]

Juliet: OH! Such a lovely poem... I especially love the number on it! Oh! Could my Romeo be NEAR? But how can that be? I will arise now, and go to look for him!

[Juliet gets up and starts looking around.]

Juliet: Oh Romeo, oh Romeo, where forth art thou?

Coconut tree: Here!

Romeo: Shh, you silly! You're a TREE! Trees don't talk!

Coconut tree: Well, *I* talk! So there!

Juliet: What? Did I hear that tree talking? Maybe my Romeo boy might be behind the tree!

[MM: Start playing the Indian-style "Twinkle twinkle little star" [get the song from here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3D2tqw64_4&feature=related]

[Juliet takes a look at the right, Romeo goes to the left... and then J looks to the left, R hops to the right... and finally, R lets himself be seen by J... and well, if you've seen a Bollywood dance around a coconut tree, you get the idea ;]


Juliet: OH! ROMEEEEEEEO!!! YOU'RE HERE! AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE FAR FAR AWAY...

[R and J do a Bollywood-style dance around the coconut tree for 20 seconds... can look to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiEk2wXVyfs&feature=related for inspiration haha]

[All to end with a dramatic dance flourish and then R and J go happily off the stage]




Host: Just like how Romeo was not far away from Juliet even though Juliet couldn't see him, so God also is not far away - He is always with us even though we can't always see Him! That reminds me of something... 我跟耶稣在椰子下!

Today’s Big Point is …. “God is not far away, He is with us”

No comments: