Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spiritual Posture

I was massaging my mum's neck just now, when, on a whim, I decided to check her back muscles to see whether her back muscles were strong.

And to my surprise, they were STRONG. Not weak and flabby.

I mentioned that to my mum, and she said that she always makes it a point to sit up straight, even when playing mahjong. (And her mahjong marathons can go on for hours.)

She then added, "Good posture makes you look young. Bad posture makes you look older. When I was younger, I saw on Talentime (apparently some show from the '60s) a very beautiful model - the way she held herself up was so beautiful! So I wanted to be like her, so I always maintained a good posture."

Wow. And it struck me suddenly, from the sermon by Ps Ben on Sunday about training ourselves in Godliness. Just as my mum maintained her physical posture (and she looks at least 10 younger than her actual age), so likewise we should aim for good spiritual "posture".

Posture, not as in a fixed rigid unyielding stance, but as in a graceful, elegant, firm and strong stand.

My mum mentioned that she was inspired to maintain a lifelong habit of good posture when she saw the prime perfection of posture.

Likewise we too can be inspired to pursue the habit of godly "posture" when we happen to observe a man/woman of godly stature living life. Gracious, magnanimous, courageous, wise, steadfast, faithful, loyal, overflowing with goodness, joyful, peaceful, kind...

Just like physical posture, growing in spiritual posture is not easy. But wow, Lord, the rewards are deliciously worth it. So help me please practise godly decision-making, godly speech, godly thoughts, godly habits, etc., each day of my life... so that I may be found blameless before You when You come back... and hopefully to inspire others next time! In Jesus' name, Amen!

1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

No comments: