Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Resilience: Learning Obedience From Suffering

Hebrews 5:8
"Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered..."


I've been having a painful flu. Rarely do I have a sore throat so bad that I lose my voice, but on Sunday, I really almost lost my voice.

So I was initially unwilling to crawl out of my Very Very Very Comfortable bed to travel all the way down to take care of the children - first thought that came to mind: "I have flu! Will spread the germs to them... haha! Good good I can tell Yung that I can't make it due to flu."

Then. It turns out that I have to man the projector and laptop for the lyrics of the HopeTots service. Not much interaction with the kids needed here. Then this reminder came to mind: "Remember, Yeu Ann, you prayed to grow in resilience? Here, this is what real resilience is about - committing to what you've promised even when things are very difficult for you."

Groaned inwardly, but said, "Yah, God, You're RIGHT... sigh. The spirit's willing but the flesh's weak. *moan groan mutter scratch scratch*"

So went down, took cab there.

Then read my Bible. And, at the exact page where I had opened my Bible, was Hebrews 5:8. And my bookmark had been randomly placed there some more.

So read it, and felt very touched. 'Cos I realized that even Jesus Himself, even though He was a son... was THE Son of God, no less, He chose to learn OBEDIENCE from what he suffered.

So realised that Jesus actually learnt obedience from what he suffered.

I'm just suffering a throbbing headache - He suffered a throbbing crown of thorns.
I'm just suffering aching limbs - His limbs were nailed to a cross.
I'm just suffering an aching back - His very back was flayed open with angry wounds.
I'm just feeling feverish - He sweated blood.

Philippians 3:10-11
"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."


Just felt so humbled by His utter humility, that I bowed my heart and asked His forgiveness for my childish complaining, and realized that in every suffering, there is a God-given opportunity to understand even more His suffering that day. But it turns out, when you feel a little more of His suffering... somehow, you know a little more just how deep His love for you is. It's so deep that you weep, grasping a little more of how deep His suffering was, and how deep His love was, that He was willing to suffer that suffering.

"Your mercy flows like a river wide
And healing comes from Your hands
Suffering children are safe in Your arms
There is none like You..."


So that verse was really like sunshine to my soul that day - somehow a rhema word from God can make you feel very happy, and you feel that you could dance a thousand miles. =) Even if you were sniffling, flu-bug-ridden. Yes, His love is able to make you sing and dance, in your soul, all the day long!

So touched. Especially to know that God Himself is training me, shepherding me and disciplining me. =D To learn to be more and more resilient in the face of adversity. "Strength and Honour." Amen! :)

No comments: