Saturday, October 4, 2008

Radical Love: Geylang

A dear friend wrote this... It left a lump in my throat as I read it. Instead of resting on a public holiday, this friend chose to minister to the prostitutes in Geylang. I'm... so... touched.

And I sensed God's love overflowing from this friend's sharing.
Although I had visited the clinic and knew the ministry there since abt 4 mths back, I had not mustered enough courage to "walk the streets" as they call it. To befriend, talk to and pray for the people.

The house church is located at Geylang Road, where they pray and meet daily. On Wednesdays, they have a worship time and then they walk the streets. After worshipping for abt an hr odd, we went to the street in 2 grps.

I went with a grp of about 8 to the "Indian" streets, unsure of what was to happen. We squeezed past crowds of migrant workers, walked past a street of gambling tables ( I swear I only saw those in HK TV dramas). Along the streets were rows of women standing/ sitting down. We came to a grp of ladies, and someone asked if they wanted prayer. They said yes, and another embraced one of them, and another held another's hand. And before long, we were all standing in the circle, in the middle of the dark dinky alley- Praying.

Jesus was there though. I felt like He was walking with us in the streets. He wasn't just there when we walked. He was there, walking with them daily.

I asked S if she wanted prayer. She hugged me and laid her head on my shoulders. I thought she didn't understand, and asked again. Again, she hugged me. I prayed for her- for healing, for God's love. And at the end of the prayer, I asked her to call to Jesus, to tell Jesus what is in her heart. Soon after she said she gotto go, as there was business coming. It stirred my heart with a mixture of feelings.

But I knew Jesus loved each one of these. The bible came alive as I read Isaiah that night when I got home- of healing broken hearts, of setting the captives free, of bringing light into the darkness. There it was, in the dark alleys, incarnate love. Jesus walked and fellowshipped with the tax collectors and the prostitutes on earth. Jesus came to die for these ones. God wants to redeem these lives, each woman created uniquely and beautifully in His image.

I have a feeling that this is how christianity is meant to be. Christianity, according to the bible, is radical.

Something I learnt from this: There are many, many people who are hungry for love... and God hears their hearts' cries. Let's be encouraged and allow the Lord to use you and me today... to minister to the least of these people... because Jesus said that whatever we did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of His, we ultimately did it for HIM.

Jesus will never ever forget what we have done for him, no matter how small it is. :)

Thank God for this dear friend, who is a wonderful radical of Christ. :) I wanna be radical for Him too. Because our God is a radical God!

No comments: