Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Humble Colleague

Today, a new guy I'd not seen around my office before popped into the lab where I work. He was looking for my project lead. But since my project leader wasn't around, he talked with my tech lead instead.

And he asked question after question, as he was new to this line of work, having moved over from a different domain. What struck me was his eagerness to learn, despite his being older than either one of us, and seniority in rank.

After he'd finished his asking, he smiled and thanked us. And he said, "I'm sorry to take up your time... I really have a lot to learn from you guys." My tech lead quickly replied, "Hey don't be like that lah! We learn from one another."

But gosh! Maybe some might think it was just politeness on this guy's part, but I sensed he really was sincere and hungry to learn. More than that, his humility to learn and take the initiative to ask questions.

And he asked good and insightful questions too. Learnt a lot standing there listening to my tech lead's replies too.

I'm wondering if he's a Christian... hee.

So I reflected: How hungry am I to learn what will help me excel in the responsibilities God has assigned me? He who is faithful with little can be trusted with much. And vice-versa.

Personally, I want to learn more, not for the purpose of advancing my career, but because I want to excel as a steward of the job God has assigned me to do. This verse propels me on to want to grow and sharpen my skills more.

Proverbs 22:29
Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.

And attitude-wise, I've been working on my punctuality recently - no easy feat for a habitual latecomer like me - because I realise that subtly, this is not a good testimony in my colleagues' eyes. So I've been putting in extra effort to be on time, taking the taxi if necessary. I do this because I really want to honour God's name and to give the enemy no chance for slander. Of course, I slip from time to time... :P But as long as we fix our eyes on Jesus as the Reason behind everything we do, He gives us the strength to do ALL things. Amen!)

Let us aim daily to be excellent workmen and workwomen of God, who need not be ashamed when the day comes for us to give account for what we have done so far!

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

But let's not merely grow in our skills, but let us grow in our hearts for people too. Let's ask God to help us go the extra mile in caring for our colleagues' needs, even those who are more challenging to love. Let's grow in character and attitude too - integrity, righteousness, meekness, humility, patience, gentleness, kindness, joy, peace, and so on... It's really exciting when we choose to live for God as our King in the workplace! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bro, talking about lateness; i managed to be at work early for the first time after so long and it feels good to be early at work :) so, i strongly encourage you to be early as well :) Bless!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

haha... thanks a lot sis! :)