Thursday, October 23, 2008

But You Are A Chosen People

Came back from Combined CG. It was great! :) About reaching out to the lost. Renewed, refreshed. And I think the Spirit gently brought to mind some mindsets that I had formed over the past few years... sense His quiet prompting to remember that we ARE called to be different... different in a good way. :)
"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

Michael shared a testimony from one of the sisters who said that she took the initiative to welcome visitors to our church.

For me, I've grown up in Hope - 'tis my 10th year plus now - and to be honest, for many years, we'd never really had people stepping in to visit our church... until we moved into Nexus. Of course, when I was in the ushering team, we were told that people actually did step in, inviting themselves in a way. But somehow the significance of that, though I understood mentally, didn't quite grip me... until today.

Hospitality. Maybe it might not be possible to do it during service... but how about the lift, when we all go up? Instead of staring blankly at the lift door (as is so wont in our socially-isolated Singaporean culture), why don't we be DIFFERENT? Why don't we warmly get to know one another... know other brothers and sisters in different caregroups and congregations?

Case in point: I got into the lift on Monday night, after my media course. Then I saw one of the Filipino leaders with some other sisters. Politely, I smiled to her... but she smiled so warmly back, that I couldn't help but smile bigger back. And she warmly chit-chatted with me. All in the space and time of a lift going down 5 floors.

Hee. :) Feel inspired to do likewise next time... ha, but let it be from a real and sincere heart. Not because I feel it's the spiritual or the "correct" thing to do... but because, really, Jesus loves that person so much... the least I can do is to welcome that person in His name. (Especially if it's a little child! =))

Well, more mindsets that I had... ha, tired now. Can't really think. But I remember what CN and Christine shared about organizing outreach events. To also enjoy it ourselves too. :)

******
Hmm. Oh yes. Thank God especially too for Bowen deciding having lunch with me even though he was very busy... I protested, but he said he wanted to have lunch with me anyway. And for Guan, blessing me so much with all her long, long sharings at the end of the day, when I went over to the NUS HQ. Deeply blessed by her friendship! :)

Oh, also thank God for Hong Teck. He messaged me out of the blue today to ask me for lunch. Very blessed by him too. It really brightened up the *ahem* less-than-exciting course (one of my coursemates said it made him very sleepy)...

Reflection. How grateful am I to God for all these people that He puts into my life day by day? 'Cos there really is no place like the Church, where you can find unconditional love and acceptance... it really is so true.

This is so meaningful to me, because I came from a background where I was rejected by many people in the Church as a young boy, a long time ago... even fighting in Sunday school... and got really turned off Christianity. And now I'm a Sunday school teacher. God has a sweet sense of humour. :D

Ha... It's stunningly marvellous. Christ uses a clearly defective Body - the Church - to express His perfect love.

The Church without Christ as the rightful Head has been guilty of supporting or even promoting some of the worst injustices and crimes in history... of cohabiting with philandering politicians, manipulative ministers, etc...

But the Church with Christ as the rightful Head has been guilty of some of the most beautiful acts of mercy and grace in history... fighting against slavery, against racial discrimination... caring for abandoned plague/leprosy/AIDS victims... visiting the prisoners in prisons... tending to the sick and helpless... welcoming the hungry stranger in... transforming the societies she is in - whether it be music or arts or literature or finance or education...

Ah. Christ really took a big risk when He chose you and me to be part of His Church. Let's not disappoint Him any more...

Ok! End me meandering thoughts here!

No comments: