Thursday, October 16, 2008

Four New Friends


Wouldn't you like them to be your colleagues too?


I'd been seeing these few familiar faces in the office next to ours. But I didn't know their names, not even that cheerful guy who kept greeting me with a friendly hi from time to time.

Then I read Calyn's post two days ago. She was thinking of stepping out of her comfort zone to talk to her lab mates. And I was inspired by her heart. It made me think.

So finally the next morning, I did something different. I thought I'd greet that Nice Cheerful Guy in the corner. Maybe chit-chat a bit, etc.

Then I stepped out and saw that nice cheerful guy frowning at his comp, looking decidedly engrossed in his work.

So I went to the loo and prayed in one of the cubicles. Prayed to God for help in stepping out of my comfort zone to get to know my colleagues, and for Him to bless them... and maybe, hopefully, bring a bit more cheer to those around me in the office. To be salt and light in that little cell that is misnamed an office.

Stepped back in, and said hi.

Well! My colleague grinned and seemed glad to be taking a break from his work. We chit-chatted a bit.

Then, another colleague - someone I didn't know - called out to me. She asked me whether I had a plug to lend her, for she needed a 2-pin adaptor. Oh! I did. Went back into my office and came back with the plug. She smiled, and sweetly said thanks so much.

And my other colleague started joking that I'd better keep an eye on that plug in case it disappeared. Haha!

Anyway, I got to know their names, and we chit-chatted even more. Chatted even more with another colleague (the Humble One I was writing about a few days ago). Actually, he was chatting and I was just listening.

Wow. God really is so good. I prayed to know one colleague better, but He helped me know THREE colleagues in one go. Amazing! Lord, bless them! :)



But that isn't the end of the story.

Yesterday, Christine (one of the colleagues) dropped by our office. She gave us two cans of soft drinks. Wow. My colleague and I were pleasantly surprised by her neighbourly gesture, 'cos it was the first time that the Other Office had made contact with Our Office. So we crossed over and my other colleagues got to know them more too. The atmosphere warmed up considerably that day.

And we got to know another colleague too, who wasn't around when I was talking with the other three colleagues.

And our colleagues got to see that half-consumed can of Kenyan coffee, which I had bought for my team. One of them asked me, "Where did you buy it?"
"Kenya."

"Wow. You went there for?"

"Oh! Hmmm (should I tell them missions trip?)... I went there on a missions trip."

"Oh I see..."

And we also found out that today was their last day in their office. They were moving out to another office.

******
Perhaps this is how the kingdom of God can come on earth as it is in heaven:
Just a little kind act or a little good word, or even a little prayer laid on their chairs when they're out for lunch - little nooks that open up just enough space for a little seed to fall into.

And to think this cascade of events all started with a testimony on Calyn's blog. Calyn's post encouraged me to step out and do something different for the kingdom of God that day. And I prayed a prayer, and that made a difference that day. And my colleagues suddenly warmed up to one another that day. And the timing was so on the dot that day. Another day, and they'd have gone, and we'd never have the chance to make four new friends that day. And now they know this day that I'm a Christian.

Whoa. And the message is? Jesus rocks for all days. Yesterday and today and forever and a day. :)

No comments: