Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm currently editing some video stories done by primary school kids. Yesterday, I edited the ones done by the secondary school kids.

You might expect the ones done by the secondary school kids to be better than those by the primary school kids. I was expecting that too. But the surprise is that the primary school kids managed to turn in stories more relevant to the given theme (and therefore better in that sense), even though the sec students used more special effects and graphics and had better speech.

Made me think. Sometimes as we grow older and live out our life stories, we think we are living out the best stories that could be written - the 5 Cs, travelling to all the countries in the world, winning trophies and accolades and so on. Yet in the end, we find that our stories never qualified for the competition, simply because we did not follow the given theme of the competition.

And to our shame, we find that the people we least expected to win the prize, won, even though they were much less sophisticated and capable than us, simply because they followed God's theme for their lives. And they were simply being themselves, no fancy effects or special photos... but just simply telling a good story that fit the theme.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (New International Version)
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

No comments: