Friday, March 14, 2008

Rambling Thoughts! (on character etc.)

Read Andrew's latest blog post about helping out in the grassroots. Whoa, very pleasantly surprised! And it made me think about what I can do to bless my community, to bless those around me.

Like how David Marshall made a difference in his community. I was touched to read in the ST about how there was a tribute to Marshall even after he died some time ago... pleasantly surprised to see how the PAP leaders affirmed his contributions to Singapore, even though Marshall was an opposition leader before, and his weaknesses as Chief Minister of Singapore, both administratively and politically.

So was wondering why, then, is this man still so highly regarded? Was thinking, a lot of it is due to his character, that makes him so affable and beloved by many people. One anecdote about him said that he would welcome visitors to his place readily, with such a strong and eager sense of hospitality...

And also another bit I read about him was his passionate conviction for social justice, and his humility too. His heart for people too. And I read also how, he refused to take part in a proposed plot by then-Chief Minister Lim Yew Hock to arrest Lee Kuan Yew and his friends so that the two of them could stay in power. His words were something like this: "NO, NO, NO AND NEVER! Have you forgotten what we stand for? For freedom and justice!"

Whoa. No wonder even his political opponents respected and even loved him.

On another note, I read about the fall of (ex)-New York Governor Eliot Spitzer, and how his overweening pride was a major cause of his fall - how people were rejoicing over his fall from grace. He said words to his opponents like, "I'm a f****** steamroller, and I'm going to roll over you."

Compare to his new successor, David Patterson. In The New Face of New York, the writer reports:
Few of Eliot Spitzer's peers will miss his style now that he has been felled by scandal. Disdain for the governor's bellicosity was the one thing that united both parties in New York's fractious state government. His successor is Lt. Governor David Paterson — Spitzer's diametric opposite. With his mellow voice, humor and self-deprecation, Paterson has become a popular speaker in New York's political circles. "He has a winning personality," says State Senator Bill Perkins, a Democrat whose 30th District seat Paterson used to occupy. "He's very funny, very witty, and he makes an effort to not just get the job done but to make people comfortable."


Thoughts to ponder... yah, character is so important. And thank God for my dad who taught me that I may not be able to control my circumstances, but I can choose how to respond to my circumstances.

More thoughts. Yah, humility... character is so important. But not self-righteous morality... but genuine love for God and for people. That is what really counts in this life. And I know that's the greatest meaning of life: To love God and love my neighbour as myself. Nothing greater than this.

Also thinking about my workplace. Was praying how can I be a blessing to those around me? Think the Lord impressed on me that I have to learn to open my eyes and see the needs of those around me. What needs? Small needs here and there... anticipating their needs, not just waiting to be asked. And that is one way their hearts will be opened up more.

And now I understand more and more clearly why He put me in this particular CG... it's because half of the people there, their love language is service. To them, seeing little acts of kindnesses are especially valuable in their eyes. And one of my weakest areas is seeing the needs of others... and the fact that I'd rather say words than to do acts of service. But Lord, please humble me and show me how to love not with words or tongue, but in action and truth.

And I really do want to love people more and more. And I know that as I pray to God, who is love, He'll pour out His love into my heart, and teach me to learn to see the dirty feet of others and kneel down to wash them. This is really what I want to be - to kneel down together with my Lord and Teacher, and to wash the feet of others. Lord, help me learn to empty myself, to learn to make myself nothing, just as You made Yourself nothing, taking on the very nature of a servant.

This is our God, the Servant King
He calls us now to come follow Him
To bring our lives as a daily offering
Of worship to the Servant King...

No comments: