Thursday, March 27, 2008

Batter my heart, three-person'd God

On the way back from the airport, was talking with HQ. Then he asked me about something challenging. I was surprised, but thank God for His grace to me. =D Because it was an affirmative answer to a secret prayer I made a few weeks ago.

To be honest, was feeling a bit tentative and nervous about this. But these words came to mind: "Fear not, for I am with you."

And something even sweeter after that: As I was starting to be a bit worried again, I looked out of the cab window, and saw this bumper sticker on a car in the next lane: "got Jesus?"

Hee :) So timely. I think God was saying to me, "You've got Jesus - 'And surely I am with you always, to the end of the age.'"

But dear Father, please help me keep my heart always true to You and worship nothing else but You and You alone. Help me daily guard my heart against secret self-exaltation, against pride and don't know what else... humble me Lord whenever I become proud, 'cos the momentary pain of being humbled is nothing, when it comes from You, but the pain of experiencing being cut-off from You because of my pride is terrible, worse than death. Like how John Donne so said: smash, batter, hammer, pound and pierce my heart, three-person'd God... that my heart may always stay loyal and true to You. In Jesus' name, let it be so.

Good ol' John Donne. I read this poem from Guan Zhen's blog last time - these words express so much his intensity and thirst to be right before God.

John Donne, HOLY SONNETS.
XIV.

Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.


Source:
Donne, John. Poems of John Donne. vol I.
E. K. Chambers, ed.
London: Lawrence & Bullen, 1896. 165.

No comments: