Monday, November 5, 2007

A Life of Love: A Soft and Big Heart

I was chatting with a dear brother D over lunch today, with some other bros, and the topic turned to talking about relationships. So asked him what values he looks for in his future wife, and what he said struck me:

"Hmm... I think a soft heart for God is what I look for in my future wife. As we grow into adulthood, it's harder to find among the people, a soft heart for God."

It was very simple, but it struck me a lot, 'cos it rings so true... a soft heart for God... and I thought about myself, whether I have been keeping a soft heart for God as I start working. Because I've seen a lot of people enter the world, and eventually cool their first love, settling for a humdrum go-to-church every Sunday... "professing Christians, practising atheists."

It made me pause, because I think recently my heart for my dear Saviour has become justa little less soft to His voice, justa little less teachable, justa little less willing to seek Him...

And all these little justs all stack up.

Wow... I feel kind of scared actually... how easy it can be to fall away from God... But yeah, feel very thankful to God for my dear brothers and sisters who love God - especially those who have made a commitment to holiness and godliness... their lives encourage me a lot to live for Him.

Because I've seen how when people love the Lord, and love His people, really, their lives have impact, depth and meaning. There is an unspoken "aura" about them that blesses people. I think this is what Jesus meant when He said that "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." I remember Oswald Chambers commenting on that verse, saying that if we trust in Him, and put our faith constantly in Him, streams of living water will flow from within us - to refresh others in turn too.

And that's what I want in my future wife too - a soft and tender heart towards God always, and a big heart for people. A heart that loves the truth more than herself, and a heart that loves people as herself. :D

And I pray that I can be that kind of man too... =D

No comments: