Friday, November 17, 2006

"But those who hope in the Lord renew their strength."

I'm now typing this in my Computing lab. Was doing my programming assignment solo - it's the TOUGHEST programming assignment I've ever done in my whole life - I'm not kidding. Have been in the lab for almost 24 hours straight.

But as I sit back and take a break, I was reflecting about Claramae's sharing from John 15 yesterday during SubD242 about remaining in Jesus. So was sitting back and just thinking about God. About God's presence - how He promised to be with us always. I was afraid of being lonely in the lab, but I remembered that He has promised His presence even when things are not easy.

"My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." (Exodus 33:14)

Realised that God has sustained me for the past 24 hours, giving me the assurance of His grace and mercy. Really thank God for His timely provision through Huanyan and Jits - Huanyan helped borrow an important book for me from the Sci Lib, going all the way down from Arts Fac to Sci Fac, and Jits for her encouragement SMS. Really thank God for such dear friends like them!

"...those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
... they will walk and not be faint."
(Isaiah 40:31)

This verse from Jits' msg struck me. "walk and not be faint." I think He's encouraging me to persevere on, and He's running besides me through this difficult lap, encouraging me not to slack or slow down, but to keep on going. :D Thank God for His words of encouragement!

*******

I had always wondered last time why "soaring on wings" and "running" came before "walking". To me, it seemed like a retrogression of sorts - if we are in the Lord, shouldn't we be walking, then running, then soaring? To go from strength to strength?

But now, I think I have a better idea why God put "walking" as the last point, when He said about those renewing their strength from Him. I think He sees the greatest sign of strength as not so much of how high you can soar, nor of how fast you can run, but rather, how far you can walk - and not be faint.

Think patience endurance is something that He looks for in His children - the ability to be faithful to the very end. I think Jesus' greatest strength was not in the stopping of the stormy sea, nor was it even in raising Lazarus from the dead. It was when He staggered bloodily all the way to the cross, crying out, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?"

Yup. I think He's training me through this lab experience, and also this tough final semester to help increase my inner strength for the working life ahead. Thank God! :D He is faithful indeed! Even when I'm not!

No comments: