Monday, October 1, 2007

Social Intelligence



Daniel Goleman - Author of Emotional Intelligence and Social Intelligence

I went to Times Bookshop at Centrepoint to help my mum buy a gift, when I espied this book. It was very surprising, 'cos I was talking with Robert about that topic last night. So flipped through it and decided to buy it.

Just feel very thankful to Daddy for His gracious provision. It's just so ... timely. :D

From what I've read so far - it's a good book. Tentatively it gets me stamp of approval. 4 stars out of 5.

(Oh. A passing thought. Actually I expect half or three-quarters of what I'll read in this book to have already been taught me by my brothers and sisters in church over the past 10 years.)

And speaking from experience, the church really is the best place to grow in relationships - here, you have the freedom to make mistakes so that you can learn from them. Of course, if you keep on making the same mistakes, you get pushed, but even that pushing is in itself a huge act of love. In short, it's a laboratory for relationships. :)

I remember what Robert exhorted me when I told him that I'm a social "cripple":
"Yeu Ann! The Big Transformation has already been done in you. You've changed so much over the years... now what is left is the fine-tuning, the more delicate job. I can assure you that the big block has been done. The tumour has been removed. Now there's the little bits floating around in the bloodstream... that is why you feel that you are struggling more and more, that it gets harder and harder as the years go by. Because the bits become smaller and smaller."


And instantly, at that point, the words, "CHEMOTHERAPY", came to mind. And I realise that while Christ has removed the tumour from my heart, He, as the Wise Physician, still must put me through intensive chemo to purify my blood with painful chemicals till the cancer of sin is completely gone. (Hebrews 12:1-13) :)

That reminds me... there is this friend in church I have to urgently feedback to. This friend has halitosis. And it's not mild... it's bad. So I have to hurry up and let this friend know. Because... maybe it's not as extreme as saying "my friend's blood will be on my hands", but i think i can help this friend as one who also struggles with the same issues. A fellow sinner helping another fellow sinner. Umm umm! hope it goes well. Pray pray!

No comments: