Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Commentary on Section 377A

Read through PM Lee's speech on why the Government chose to keep the now-famous Section 377A in the new Penal Code.

And near the end of his speech, his concluding remarks caught my eyes:

"On issues of moral values, with consequences to the wider society, first we should also decide what is right for ourselves.

But secondly, before we are carried away by what other societies do, I think it's wiser for us to observe the impact of radical departures from traditional norms on early movers. These are changes which have very long lead times before the impact works through, before you see whether it's wise, unwise, is this positive? Does it help you to adapt better? Does it lead to a more successful, happier, more harmonious society?

...

We were right to uphold the family unit when Western countries went for experimental lifestyles in the 1960s - the hippies, free love, all the rage...

But I'm glad we did that because today, if you look at Western Europe, where marriage as an institution is dead, families have broken down, the majority of children are born out of wedlock and live in families where the father and the mother are not the husband and wife living together, bringing them up. And we've kept the way we are.

I think we have also been right to adapt, to accommodate homosexuals in our society, but not to allow or encourage activists to champion gay rights (as) they do in the West.

So I suggest, Mr Speaker, and I suggest to the Members of the House, we keep this balance, leave Section 377A alone.

I think there is space in Singapore and room for us to live harmoniously and practically all as Singapore citizens together."


Was thinking about this, and am glad that he spoke up in favour of keeping S377A.

Personally, I was thinking whether to sign the anti-repeal online petition... Decided not to in the end, 'cos had a lot of questions first.

Gosh! One of the bros wrote a very good post on this topic... do read it, it's thought-provoking. :) Haha, he puts it much more eloquently than I can.

Oh! Lots of things recently. Bought World In Conflict, a cool war game based on a hypothetical scenario where the USSR invades USA. Tried it - gosh, it's a good game - forces you to make quick tactical decisions on the spot. Realised I keep stalling - and thus losing - because of my hesitancy. Trained me well in situational awareness too. :P Very fun...

Work's getting heavier. Thanks to Joyce who messaged me a small SMS :) and for WZ's "Oy!" message haha...

Gosh, v tired now. :P Lord, sustain me! :) And keep me close to Your Word, Your Spirit, Your truth! In Jesus name amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May the Lord refresh your soul =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot bro! :)