Monday, June 19, 2006

Failure: The First Step to Victory


In Touch Daily Devotional
by Dr. Charles Stanley

Sunday June 18, 2006

Failure: The First Step to Victory
Romans 7:15-25

Paul tried to do the right thing, but, like us, sometimes he failed. In his letter to the Romans, Paul seems to agonize over his inability to triumph over sin at every confrontation in his life.

Don’t we all feel like Paul at times? We want to do what’s right, but our actions don’t always represent our true desires.

However, Paul learned that failure shouldn’t be condemning – in fact, it taught him one invaluable lesson: "Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor. 12:10).

Here are some things to remember about defeat:

1) Defeat is often engineered by God. God isn’t after self-improvement. He is after death – death to our flesh, which leads to life in Him.

2) Defeat is often essential for God to fulfill His purposes in our lives. When we are broken to the point that the only place we can look is up–and see Him–then we begin to see the purposes and plans He has for our lives.

3) Defeat exposes our weaknesses and inadequacies. Our best efforts never match what God can–and wants–to do in us and through us.


Defeat in our lives doesn’t mean we are defeated. It’s merely God’s way of pointing us to ultimate victory.




Am very encouraged again... haha... thank God! :D Yet again it's on the subject of failure... but something with an extra touch... bcos I was thinking and talking to God in my heart yesterday and today abt His plans for my life... and something very sweet that happened today that caused me to reflect on God's sheer goodness to a sinner like me...

This point touched me a lot: "2) Defeat is often essential for God to fulfill His purposes in our lives. When we are broken to the point that the only place we can look is up–and see Him–then we begin to see the purposes and plans He has for our lives."

I was thinking back to my 4 years in NUS, to the time that God really broke my spirit and humbled me... think "crushed" is a more appropriate word. :) Because through that time God really, through a whole series of circumstances and events and what-not, stripped my heart bare, showing me what REALLY was in my heart - so many wicked things, the sheer hypocrisy, the pride, the greed and selfishness that reigned in my heart... and especially the false religious attire that i had put on in front of my brothers n sisters. When He stripped my facade off and showed me what was in my heart, actually i was shocked to see who i really was... and i had a very hard time accepting the sheer ugliness of my character.

But now I'm really grateful to Jesus, my Saviour, because He sent me pple who corrected and rebuked me in love, who helped me turn around and face up to my true inner condition... Hanhui... Weizhu... Peter... Sijia... Shirley... Zewei... and other brothers and sisters who tried to feedback to me. And thank God especially for my shepherds, Weizhu and Peter, who told me to turn back to Jesus... and to put my hope in God for redemption... When I think of all this, I'm reminded of what King Nebuchadnezzar wrote to all the people of the world, "Now I praise and glorify and exalt the God of heaven... for those who walk in pride He is able to humble."

But back to the point... why is this point so meaningful? Think it's because in the past few months, God has been putting a burden and calling in my heart to serve in the children's ministry... somehow I have the feeling that it's much more than a burden... I believe it's a calling from God Himself... and all this started only after I repented and turned back to Jesus for forgiveness last year...

I'm so surprised... because working with children is really totally something i would have never imagined or even dreamt of doing before... because I tend to feel v shy with children, not knowing how to talk or take care of them. But after a series of encounters with children, I've found out that children feel very comfortable with me... and also feedback from Ruey Fong, my dear brother... and also somehow I believe God impressed on my heart that He wanted to give me the name "Abraham"... which means "Father of many nations"... haha...

So I have found myself growing in love and burden for the children of the world... have really desired and been praying to God that He will help mould and shape me to be a good and godly father, not just biologically, but also one who is able to guide and prepare future generations for the dangers and the spiritual battles that lie ahead for each of them.

And something today REALLY touched my heart so much... it makes my heart really jump with joy... today I was at Nexus, when I saw Jits, Clara and Shirley there... as I was chatting with Jits, Shirley suddenly came into my view. She was carrying this super-adorable toddler called Harry. So I asked whether I can also try carrying Harry...

Wah lau, he felt so soft and tender... I couldn't help but think of old Abrahan grinning from ear to ear as he carried his baby son Isaac... and reflected on just how so intensely precious each child is in the eyes of God... as Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and DO NOT HINDER THEM, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such these."

And as I held him there, Harry's eyes looked into my eyes... really magic. Then he stuck out his stubby lil' hand and tried to take off my glasses. haha... not that I mind... i realised how clean babies' hands can be (if they're not sucking on their fingers, that is). :D Really really... intensely sweet. :D How precious each child is, in the eyes of the Father of fathers.

So am amazed at God's wonderful plans and purpose for my life... I was recalling all the talents, strengths, giftings, personality, experiences, desires and baptism name that He has given me... and realised that they are slowly but surely pointing simultaneously in one particular direction... realise the personal vision that He gave me in 2002, just before I entered NUS ministry, is gradually becoming personalised and more real. A dream to fulfill the Great Commission in my lifetime... by building strong and biblical people (including children!) to plant strong and biblical churches in Singapore and all over the world!

And when I think of all these things, I can only stand amazed at His sheer grace... "What is Yeu Ann, that You are mindful of him; the son of man that You care for him?" What is my life, Lord, that You should even bother to have a plan for me in the first place? A plan so uniquely designed... that when I see the unfolding of it in my life, I can only exclaim, "So this is what I am here for!"

Hallelujah!

No comments: