Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Promise?

Was reading a Bible commentary for Luke 1 and 2. And something that caught my eye when I studied Luke 1 was about when God fulfills His promises, He does it to meet a variety of needs as well. So, when He caused John the Baptist to be born as the forerunner to Jesus, He not only met His promise to send the Elijah to come; He also met Zechariah's and Elizabeth's personal need as well.

It strikes me how caring God is. And how wonderful He is.

Still, about promises being met, I wonder about it...

I was spending some time in prayer today after work. Was talking with God about whether He'd really promised what I thought He had promised. I do wonder if He actually made that promise at all. Looking at it, it's 21 days left to the end of 2009, so I guess it's not going to pass... not as far as I can see, if that promise wasn't made. That's the thing about the whole confusion - that it's supposed to be a promise.

Just sat around, and was quiet, mulling over all these things... and to be honest, I didn't quite know what else to talk to God about. So I just kept quiet and just thought about life and things like that.

But if He really made that promise... then this is going to be something really amazing. And I should know lah... I've seen Him do miracles so amazing and wonderful... both in my life, and in others' too. But I think, personally, this is my greatest test of faith for me so far. And to be honest, I have so little faith. Forgive me Lord...

If He really made that promise, then hmm, what I read in the commentary today is a very timely message, right after I'd finished praying to God about my doubts and so on. Because it's about waiting for God... and well, God has His own timing - and that timing is not arbitrary, but strategically chosen to meet a whole bunch of different needs and so on, at the same time.

:)

In any case, to be honest, I asked God rather exasperatedly... "What do You want of me, actually?"

Perhaps He wants everything of me, even this area... or He just wants to be quiet...I can't figure out anything at the moment. So I guess it's a case of walking the dark valley alone. Faith. Being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see. Oh. Wait upon God. Not to rush. That one, was clear.

Maybe God's message at the start of the year was really clear: Let Me handle this. Don't try to rush anything. 21 days left, wondering how/if God will do what I think He said He'll do.

In any case... I told God finally... "It's ok, Lord... whatever happens next... I surrender to You. Do with me as You please. Amen."

Yup... surrender.

I like how Peter put it: Faith is singing His name, even when we are several goals behind in the game.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these three is love.

No comments: