Friday, November 5, 2010

A poignant thought. My parents will be 70 years old this year. In ten years' time they will be 80. I find it... so hard to believe, because they still look like they're in their sixties. But... ten years go by fast. I was 20... and next year I will be 30. Ten years really feels like a lot... but also so short.

I ... it just struck me suddenly that I may only have about ten to fifteen more years to spend with my parents, or twenty, if they're very fortunate. I feel a sense of sadness, and a tightness grip my throat. Thank God they're Christians too... but gosh, I think I feel the impending nearness. How brief, how short are our lives on this side of eternity.

I kissed my mum and gave her a goodnight hug. I have learnt to treasure every little hug, because I know that one day, they'll be sleeping. Sleeping. It's such an important word. Because it lends me hope that death does not have the final word. =)

I guess it sounds rather strange, to be ... sad ... about my parents, while they are still strong and healthy. But I think it's good to be prepared, and treasure as much time as I can with them - the earlier I start, the better - before they go home to be with the Lord.

But after they go, life goes on. Abraham had to move on after his father died. And God revealed more of His calling to him at that sad moment in his life. So send me Lord.

I have to cherish every moment with them. Lord, bless my parents with long life and good health I pray. Help me treasure every single moment left with them. In Jesus' lovely name Amen.
1 Corinthians 15:55-58
“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

:) Treasure life, and treasure your loved ones. Your time in this world really goes by very fast. It's simply a dress rehearsal for heaven - where things really are more real and more full of life... and full of joy. And no more will be heard the sound of weeping or crying or death or pain, for the old order of things will have passed away. :) May the hope of heaven therefore spur you on all the more to live life as fully for the Lord as you can in this present world.

No comments: