Thursday, September 29, 2005

Convictions

Think my personal conviction abt not using pirated software is being tested... 'cos was thinking of using a pirated copy of Win XP to reinstall on my sister's computer, and quite worried abt how to get a copy of Microsoft Office 'cos my sis may not adapt well to using OpenOffice.

The crunch: *Do I REALLY believe that Jesus wants me NOT to use pirated software?* and do I trust in Him to provide for me the software that me and my sis and dad'll need?

I think this is a real test to see if my conviction is genuine...

I've made the decision - I won't use pirated software, by the grace of God, because the Bible says "Do not steal." And I'm trusting in Him to provide for my needs, one way or another.

Think this is how convictions are formed. At first you just accept it as true... it's just an agreement, not a belief.

Then the crunch comes and the assent that you made is challenged, and you wonder, is it worth it? Is this really worth the trouble to stick to this agreement? And is this issue even worth bothering about?

And the crossroads - which choice shall i make? To stay firm on this agreement, which will make it a true belief - with all its consequences, or to throw aside the agreement, which means that i reject it as true... I realised that even with a simple decision like this, there's no turning back once the decision is made. Either this agreement becomes a belief or it becomes a belief that using pirated software is NOT wrong.

Somehow sensed God's assurance on me when I made this decision to stand firm for Him, the assurance that I've done the right thing and He is pleased with me. I remembered what Sijia said during CG last night, that the Kingdom of God extends to ALL areas of our lives. And that includes pirated software. :)

Really thank God for this invaluable lesson - a "lab demo session" on developing convictions. This has helped me see how a conviction can be formed:
a mere agreement -> a shaky belief -> a steadfast conviction.

And at each ->, there's at least one decision to be made.

Hey! I just realised, this is really wonderful, because recently, I've been praying to God to ask Him to help me grow in conviction for His Word in all aspects of my life, to obey His Word more and more. And think God is answering this prayer by helping me through this reflection just now, the one about choosing whether to use or not to use.

Surely we serve a great Teacher! :D

No comments: