Monday, April 17, 2006

A piece of Singaporean history: Who still remembers Teleview?

Was doing some reading on videotex systems for my Communications and New Media term paper, when I remembered Teleview... used it for a short while in 1995, when I was in Sec 2... (Whoa!That's more than 10 years ago... :)). Then the Internet came along, and I had to use a text-based browser to surf the net...

Yes, you read it right, it was text-based ONLY... gosh, think I really can tell my grand-children in future, "When I was your age, all our browsers were TEXT-only!!!" (and thump the floor with my walking stick for emphasis).

(Incidentally, the text-based browser (it's called Lynx) is still available, and pretty snappy to use too, though the mystical world of black-and-white text can be a bit disorientating for us non-geeks who've been dwelling in the wonderful world of Oz-like 24-bit colours of graphical browsers...)

So does anyone still remember that info-text system that we Singaporeans used back so long ago? :)

Oh Teleview, we hardly knew ye...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I was born in the later part of the 90s, I have heard quite a lot and seen quite a lot of Teleview. It somewhat functions like the internet, like online shopping, games and educational lessons, can be access through it.