Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Answer To Our Hearts' Emptiness: Thinking of Jesus More

A dear friend asked me this just now:
"What do u do when life feels empty? Do you think there will always be a hole or can we be fully satisfied in Him?"

I initially wanted to write a long theological exposition on this, but felt strangely prompted to write this instead:

"Mm... To answer your questions, when I feel empty, I think of Jesus. I think of how much He loves me, and died for me. I think of how he is watching over me, and I think of his promise, 'And surely I am with you always, even to the end...' I think of how good he is, that if everything is gone, he is there. He is more than the world to me, He is my everything, He is my all. I think of how he understands the feeling of utter loneliness... and I think of the eternal scars on his resurrected body. I think of Jesus."

:) my friend smiled.

Then I added,

"I think that's the only answer that the Bible gives us [to our question of emptiness]... but what an answer: Jesus himself is the answer to our hearts' emptiness. 'Our hearts are restless, until they find rest in Thee.'"

Somehow it strangely felt like the Holy Spirit was guiding me as I wrote that to my dear friend. It's true btw. I really do think of Jesus in my lonelier moments.

You know, I wondered why would the Holy Spirit lead me to just write "I think of Jesus". Then I think it's because in our most empty moments, theology doesn't really help. God knows us too well. We ... just need Jesus. The person of Jesus. That's all.

God didn't send Jesus to just give us answers to life's hardest questions. Jesus himself IS the Answer. He IS the Way and the Truth and the Life, and no one can come to the Father except through him.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: