Monday, April 6, 2009

Thoughts About Being An INFP

It's very interesting, reading about INFPs. :) As an INFP, we tend to be very nice and easy-going... to a certain extent. Until (we think) someone challenges our core values. In which case we very quickly change tone, and resist very strongly, even fiercely, because we feel that these core values are not being adhered to.

Interestingly, the male INFP tends to get a rawer deal than the female INFP, because where the female INFP is seen as calm and gentle, with a deep inner strength and conviction... the male is often seen as the opposite - looking soft and wimpy, being a pushover (due to his preference to avoid conflicts, his calm demeanour)... and if challenged, he seems to be emotional in his outburst by resisting very suddenly and strongly what he perceives to be a challenge to his core values.

Gosh.

I guess also because our culture frowns on males being more expressive emotionally. But as an INFP, often, emotions are a very strong part of their personalities, of who they are. Interestingly, INFPs are not all emotions, nor are they the 'emo' types. Because they can be logical and rational too. It's just whether we choose to make being logical as part of our core values... in which case, if someone challenges an INFP whose core values include being logical and not showing feelings... surprise! he/she can be very emotional about being logical.

Gosh.

I find this very fascinating. We can be logical in our emotional delights, able to see the ridiculousness of our emotions and understand very systematically how our emotions tend to progress. I was talking with Huaqiang just now, and he commented that I have the ability to be both emotional and logical. And also, I noticed that I often have two phases in my heartfelt sharing: first, the emotional sharing... and then the rational, analytical sharing.

So sometimes it makes it hard for me to share my feelings, because though I feel deeply about something, I tend to judge and analyse my feelings even as I try to express them in words. But my judgemental aspect often trips up my sharing, as I feel afraid to share since I feel what I'm sharing is wrong.

Gosh.

The rational side of me marvels at the uniqueness and complexity that is me (and that is in every other human being), that God made me fearfully and wonderfully... and the emotional side wishes that I was like "everyone else" (whoever they may be), and not so full of emotions at times. So simultaneously, I feel a sense of glory, and yet a sense of shame.

But let the Word of God rule supreme over my reasoning and my feelings. That I am a child of God. That I am just one more speck in this little universe. And yet, for me, the entire universe was created. That I should not presume, yet I should not despair. Created just a little lower than the angels, and crowned with glory and honour. Fallen, but redeemed. Kings bow down, paupers are lifted up.

And once again, I marvel at the God who is, and who was, and who is to come. That He sees my wretchedness and clothes me with His righteousness. Stunned at the forgiving grace of God. Shaken by the mercy shown on the Cross. And stirred
by the peace that comes from knowing who I am in Christ.


"What is man that you are mindful of him,
The son of man that You care for him?
You made him a little lower than the angels,
And crowned him with glory and honour."

No comments: