Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Finding Jesus in London


The Alpha Supper at Trinity Brompton


I read this article in TIME magazine. Gosh! I'm so encouraged. Especially the part where the church tried to grow, but faced opposition. But God showed them who is the victor!
Nestled between London's Natural History Museum, a monument to scientific secularism, and Harrods department store, Holy Trinity Brompton has not always fit easily into London's society. In 2006, local residents blocked church plans to build a large theological study center. And secular groups have raised concerns about the course's content: Concerned about the influence of Holy Trinity Brompton on Britain's future ruling class, the British Humanist Association recently partnered with Richard Dawkins, secularist Oxford professor and author of The God Delusion, to raise funds for advertisements to counter the Alpha course's own advertising campaign, with posters on buses carrying an inscription with a similar font to the Alpha's posters: "There is probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life," they state. Within a few weeks, the fund raised $180,000 after setting a target of just $7000.

Judging by the success of the HTB, however, the humanists may be fighting a losing battle. Once considered a stalwart of rural England, the Anglican church has found new life in the largest of Britain's supposedly godless cities. And the new converts are perhaps even more fervent than their small town equivalents. HTB's Sunday services include singing, dancing, and speaking in tongues. "I've looked everywhere for the answers to my deepest questions," the philosophy major Mumford says. "It took me a while to realize that I'd find them in a London Church."

When I read the above passage, I was instantly reminded of Psalm 2:
1 Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?

2 The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the LORD
and against his Anointed One.

3 "Let us break their chains," they say,
"and throw off their fetters."

4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.

5 Then he rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

6 "I have installed my King
on Zion, my holy hill."


And the early Church also prayed the same kind of prayer: Acts 4:23-31.

I remember Ps PK Tse of Hope London sharing recently in an email that he emails friends of Hope London... he sounded quite excited. Think I can see why... :D Haha-halellujah! :D His truth is marching on!

Personally, I've been thinking of starting a Bible study fellowship in my company. I know a couple of Christians, but not sure when or where or how to get started. But, an Alpha course... hmm! That's very interesting...

No comments: