Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Children's Day! :)


Wow. Thank God for today! It was a fun-filled, action-packed, nature-loving (literally) day.

Woke up at 8 am to go to Botanic Gardens (Jacob Ballas Children's Garden - admission's free, but adults must bring a kid, or be accompanied by a staff).

Anyway, thank God so much. Got the chance to know this boy - let's call him J - who's in Pri 5. Actually, he was quite glum about the whole thing, and when I asked him how come, he said he has better things to do. Plus he doesn't like church, preferring to play computer games etc... and he's here only because his mum's helping out.

Wow. Thank God... 'cos I was like that last time, years before I became a Christian. Could identify with him instantly. Haha. And enjoyed listening to him tell his stories about how he set up a trading ring for cards... very creative smuggling skills that would have put Han Solo and Chewbacca to shame. ROFL.

But yeah, as we were talking, I was reflecting... nowadays children really are maturing much faster - in part due to the increased media exposure, and affluence of today's families. They have higher expectations... what works for the lower primary students may not be relevant to the upper primary students.

There's an increasing sense of self-assuredness and savviness that accompanies them. So feel this increasing burden to hurry up and be more productive in the media and online ministry arm of HopeKids. Time's a-wasting man....

Before I forget... J asked me whether I had a Nintendo DS. Told him no. Then he asked me what console games I have. Told him I'm thinking of whether to buy Guitar Hero World Tour since my colleagues are intending to buy. At that point he interrupted me and asked me, "How much?"

"Hmm... about 275 dollars."

"ONLY 275 dollars?"

"Errr... yes. 275 dollars... I'm think-"

"Then buy lor!"

"Wah. I have to consider other things you know... there are bills to pay, etc..."

"Then what do you use your money for if you don't buy games?"

"Well, I used the money for a missions trip..."

"You spend your money on that kind of thing???"

(surprised) "Eh. Yes. Why?"

"Missions trip? But why do you want to use the money for that? You can buy so many copies of games with $3K!"

"Ah. But I want to invest my money in more important things... like loans, etc... -"

"You could have used your $3K to pay towards the loan."

"Yeah. But I consider the missions trip important too. It's helping other people too, y'know."

"Ha."

And so the dialogue went back and forth. My personal thoughts on this... actually, I wasn't really that shocked, but very thankful that he was very frank and open about what he really thought. And I realised that it's a great opportunity given by God to share more about what my convictions and values are... though this boy subscribed to worldly values, but I think I sense in him a heart that, though is rather angst-filled and a lot of frustrations at various thing... his heart is still open to connecting - if you can find the right channel and a lot of prayer too. And his escapades when it comes to smuggling... I was imagining... wah... if one day he decides to follow Christ... imagine! he could be a "runner" smuggling gospel tracts or Bibles in ultra-creative ways for an underground church next time... or a missionary in a country where preaching the Gospel is forbidden...

Sort of like how Han Solo's smuggling skills and his Millenium Falcon came in so useful when he decided to join the Rebels to fight against the Empire...

Felt a sense of joy... and gratefulness and thankfulness to God. Really sense that God's grace is upon me... to connect AND to impact these young boys who will grow into men...

But at the present moment, I see there is a great and urgent need for discipleship - especially for the boys. The harvest is plentiful, BUT THE WORKERS ARE FEW!!! There are not enough men to disciple the boys into the way of Christ. And to quote from Patrick Moreley, the world is also actively seeking to make disciples by instilling worldly values (e.g. lack of accountability, independent spirit, individualism, materialism) into our children.

We have to faithfully and wisely disciple our children, or the world will happily disciple them.

Such a burden... but it's a burden strengthened by a God-given zeal and joy. Hee.

You know, I think God has been prompting me for a while to move to the HopeKids service, so that I can serve more there. I've emailed Yung for her input and advice. Gosh. Just really excited... very thankful too that Shunrong and Yufen are increasingly involved in the HopeTots ministry, so am very glad that God used me to bring these wonderful co-workers into the children's ministry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. wow i see that you're really working towards being Father Abraham. great that you spent children's day so meaningfully! -joyce

Anonymous said...

haha! thank God for that... God's calling mah... how abt you? how did you spend ur children's day?

Anonymous said...

Hi Yeu Ann, thanks for sharing this very meaningful dialogue with this child. You are an inspiration as you minister in the best way you can ie. Who you are and what you do (compared to what you say). Your mission trip has been worthwhile for this reason.
Yes I heard from Yung about your request to move over. I'm thrilled to learn that too. Let's talk about how we can be most effective for Him, His Hong-Teck

Anonymous said...

wow... thank you bro! really very very encouraged by your kind words... hee... yah, have much to learn from you how to be most effective for Him. so excited! :D God is really v v v good!

BTW i like that word "most"! :) not "more", but "most"! being the most that we can be for Him! not to shortchange our Creator, but to give back to Him the 100% that He made us to be!

Anonymous said...

well, my children's day was spent with my mom at home! she cooked dinner.. after many years of not touching the wok. it was a simple home-cooked meal, but it's small things like these which blessed my day! -joyce