Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Trinity of Friendship

Met with a group of friends for dinner this week. Was looking forward to it, but felt disappointed for one of my friends in the end (tho the food was good). Because we were talking at such a superficial level - and our friendship has been quite a while already.

Felt sad for this friend, because he/she doesn't have very close relationships - something this friend has been struggling with for a long, long time. Sociable, yes, witty, yes, very conversational, yes. Socially adept, yes. But it's not easy to feel close to this person, because this person is someone who is very closed-up. And it's not so much of personality, but pride in this friend. And that is the worst thing of all. I still remember one incident where I was telling this friend I was feeling very down, and this friend responded with a subtle condescending smile. It left a sour taste in me.

But am I seeing this from a biased perspective? I think so... perhaps I should just angle around for another look. Upon further reflection, I guess these episodes of disappointment I had with this friend coloured my view of the gathering. But yeah, it does seem that there is so much more to friendships than just trite talk once in a while.

Trust, truth and trueness. The trinity of friendship.

That's why I'm so thankful for my caregroup. :) We have been meeting up on the phone every Wed and Friday to pray together for Alpha and for one another. I was commenting to Sharon that our CG identity may be known as the CG that prays together over the phone! :)

No comments: