Sunday, July 10, 2005

Realised something abt myself

I'm a "Thumb Sucker".

A "Thumb Sucker", according to John Maxwell's "Be a People Person", tends to pout, are full of self-pity, and try to get people to cater to his/her own desires.

It can be very subtle - probably through a sulky face, the silent treatment, etc.

At first I found it really hard to accept. But like what this bro reminded me, I only hear what I want to hear. So must thank God for helping me see myself for who I really am.

Fact is, people care abt me - but they can't meet my needs all the time. (That was the part I really hate to hear 'cos it implies that I'm looking for people to meet my needs... sounds like a parasite huh?)

But come to think of it, frankly, I realised through my bro's comments that it's not me only who got struggles.

Other people have MUCH more.

And if I got only a few non-critical things on my mind, then how about the other person with 4 or 5 important things on his/her mind?

Then... my moodiness is a choice. I'm responsible for my own responses, my own attitudes, the atmosphere I create with others.

Like what this bro told me:
"We've all got to carry our own burdens. But we can carry our own burdens joyfully."

And, "I don't really care what people think of me. C'mon, I got [all these important things] and besides, I get to serve God..."

Thanks bro, for your frank and sincere feedback. It hurt for a while, but hope this helps me become a better person for Him in the end.

No comments: