Thursday, July 5, 2007

For this God is our Guide...

Been thinking again. There's simply so much incoming advice, so many books, that aim to give me advice on how and what to do in my life. I was thinking to God as I was walking along this morning, asking Him, "Lord, what do I do in this situation? That situation? I read in this book that says this, while the other book says that, and one brother counsels me to act immediately, while another counsels me to wait and see... God, I'm awfully confused.

"And how I wish there was one piece of advice that would take not only a particular aspect of life in account, but take into advice each and every aspect of my life... you know, like how those systems developers aim for a complete and integrated systems solution to meet the need of a business?

"Oh wait. There IS such a piece of advice - it's the Bible. Hee hee! Thanks Lord."

And so was quite relieved when I remembered that ALL Scripture is God-breathed, and is useful... that the law of the LORD is perfect - there is absolutely no flaw in His Word. In the principles contained in His Word, God has covered all the possible cases that we could and would experience in life. I'm not saying so much the exact phrasing of His Word - I mean, for example, there's nothing about computers in the Bible, but the principles of how to build deep human relationships are so applicable in an increasingly technologically-oriented society.

Or, in another example, in a post-modern culture that encourages you to date, try, sample this or that possible relationship... God's wisdom counsel you to trust in Him, to know what to look out for in a possible mate... And even when you think you've found the right one, but are not sure... His Word reminds you to depend on His Spirit to guide you and lead you into all truth.

For His Word is our Map, which shows us where to go in life's journey, AND His Spirit is our Guide, who leads us through life's journey. Therefore, we need both His Spirit and His truth...
Psalm 48:14
"For this God is our God for ever and ever;
he will be our guide even to the end."


Or as the King James Version renders it so beautifully:
"For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death."

Sweet! :D

No comments: